Africa is a continent full of diverse cultures, landscapes, and experiences. While many travelers flock to popular destinations like Egypt and South Africa, there are many hidden gems in Africa that offer just as much, if not more, to see and do. Here are a few of the most underrated and under-visited places in Africa that are worth exploring:
- Ethiopia: This ancient country is home to some of the world’s oldest human remains and is known for its rich history and culture. Visitors can explore the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, the ancient city of Aksum, and the beautiful Simien Mountains National Park.
- Senegal: This West African country is known for its vibrant culture and music scene. Visitors can explore the bustling capital city of Dakar, visit the pink lakes of Dakar and Dakar Island and also take a stroll in the African Renaissance Monument
- Guinea: This small country in West Africa is known for its lush rainforests and diverse wildlife. Visitors can explore the Fouta Djallon highlands, the beautiful waterfall at Soumba and also discover the unique culture of the Peulh people.
- Malawi: This landlocked country in southeast Africa is known for its beautiful lakes and beaches. Visitors can explore the stunning Lake Malawi, take a hike in the Zomba Plateau, and also take a dip in the hot springs of Chitimba.
- Mozambique: This Southeast African country is known for its beautiful beaches and marine life. Visitors can explore the Bazaruto Archipelago, snorkel and dive with whale sharks and manta rays, and also discover the historic city of Ilha de Mozambique.
- Burkina Faso: This landlocked country in West Africa is known for its vibrant culture and traditional architecture. Visitors can explore the ancient city of Ougadougou, visit the Mossi villages and also take a stroll in the Bobo Dioulasso market.
These are just a few examples of the many hidden gems in Africa that are waiting to be explored. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nature, or adventure, there’s something for everyone on this diverse continent. So next time you’re planning a trip to Africa, consider branching out and visiting one of these underrated and under-visited places. You won’t regret it!