Are you planning a safari tour in Southern Africa? This part of the continent offers a unique and diverse range of wildlife, landscapes, and cultures that are waiting to be explored. From the savannahs of Botswana to the rugged coastline of South Africa, there is something for everyone on a Southern African safari. In this blog post, we will take a closer look at some of the highlights and hidden gems of Southern Africa, so you can plan the ultimate safari adventure.
Highlights of Southern Africa Safari Tours
- Kruger National Park, South Africa: One of the most famous safari destinations in Africa, Kruger National Park offers a chance to spot the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino) and other wildlife in their natural habitat. The park is also home to a variety of ecosystems, from grasslands to forests, making it a great destination for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts.
- Okavango Delta, Botswana: This unique wetland is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the largest inland deltas in the world. Here, you can take a mokoro (traditional canoe) ride through the waterways and witness the incredible wildlife that lives in and around the delta, such as hippos, crocodiles, and elephants.
- Victoria Falls, Zambia, and Zimbabwe: Known as the “Smoke that Thunders,” Victoria Falls is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the world. Visitors can take a scenic helicopter or microlight flight over the falls, or go bungee jumping or white-water rafting for an adrenaline rush.
- Namib Desert, Namibia: The oldest desert in the world, the Namib Desert is home to some of the most unique and surreal landscapes you will ever see. From towering sand dunes to rugged canyons, this is a great destination for photographers and adventurers.
Hidden Gems of Southern Africa Safari Tours
- Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe: Located in the west of Zimbabwe, Hwange National Park is one of the country’s best-kept secrets. With over 100 mammal species and 400 bird species, it offers a great opportunity to see wildlife in a more secluded and intimate setting.
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa, and Botswana: This cross-border park is a haven for big cats, such as lions, leopards, and cheetahs. The park also offers a chance to see unique desert-adapted wildlife, such as meerkats and black-backed jackals.
- Skeleton Coast, Namibia: The Skeleton Coast is a rugged and barren stretch of coastline that is home to shipwrecks, seal colonies, and desert-adapted wildlife such as elephants and lions. This is a great destination for those who want to experience a true sense of isolation and wilderness.
- Liuwa Plain National Park, Zambia: This remote and untouched park in western Zambia offers a chance to see the second-largest wildebeest migration in Africa, as well as hyenas, wild dogs, and other predators.
Southern Africa is a treasure trove of unique and diverse safari destinations, from the famous national parks to the hidden gems off the beaten track. Whether you are looking for the Big Five, desert landscapes, or cultural experiences, there is something for everyone on a Southern African safari tour. By exploring the highlights and hidden gems of this incredible region, you can create an unforgettable safari adventure that will stay with you for a lifetime.